Wildrose 1915
Wildrose 1915 Bergsten's Hardware, later owened by T. Teiten
Wildrose 1915 Grace Lutheran Church and Winkjer Garage

Wildrose est. 1910


Taken from the Wildrose Golden Jubilee Book 1910-1960:

   In 1909, the Great Northern sent out another survey crew working west to what is now Wildrose. Methods of surveying were slower in pioneer days, so it took them all spring and a great part of the summer to finish the job. As soon as it was completed, the building of the railway grade commenced, but this too proved to be a slow process, as they worked with horses and manpower. The horses were used to pull the scrapers and the rest of the labor was done by men.

   When it became evident that the railway would be built one-half mile south of Montrose, the businessmen of Paddington and Montrose lost no time in preparing to move their buildings closer to the railway. The land chosen for the new town site was homesteaded by Martin Akre who sold the north one-half of his quarter to the Ward County Town and Realty Co. for the price of $3200.00. The plat was filed by the company June 24th 1910. Mr. Evju, one of the pioneers attended the sale of the lots the first day they were offered. Wheat stood knee high where L. J. Severson bought the lot for his General Store. This was considered one of the choice lots, as was the one J. A. Peterson bought for his Lumber Yard. Linwell-Nason Merc. Co. purchased the first lot offered for $250.00.

   The Great Northern did not wish to continue the name of Montrose as they had another town by that name on their lines, and it would cause confusion, so chose the beautiful name of Wildrose, in honor of the lovely wild roses that grew so profusely over the prairies. The Citizens of Montrose and Paddington felt assured that their inland towns were now doomed, so a quick migration of people and buildings took place. In fact, Wildrose mushroomed overnight, practically. Mr. Mathews and Mr. Hess moved their Bank, Severson his General Store, Harbig’s Store, Peterson’s Lumber Yard, Haines Drug Store, Malmstrom Blacksmith Shop, Scherer Livery Barn, also Frank Lowe, A. M. Thompson and E. J. Klebe the Photographers. The community hall built in Paddington was moved in and became the Movie Hall here. What is believed to be the first building on Main Street was moved in by Mrs. Palmer. Here she continued to operate a store, and on the south side of the store she built a small post office, and served as the first postmistress of Wildrose. The large upper room of the store was used for church services, school, dances, and other community gatherings.

   Everybody was now full of excitement over being located on a railroad and anticipated great success for this new village. The turntable was set up just west of town, and the future looked rosy. Up to this time all of the freight had been hauled from Ray with horses and a wagon. Many loads of lumber for the new buildings were also hauled from Ray. This town being twenty-two miles away, plus often difficult roads, made it a difficult task. With the advent of the train service, an easier way of living was within the reach of all. The year 1911 proved to be a good year as there were thirty-five business establishments. Wildrose was branded “The busiest little town in the northwest.” Being situated in a very fertile territory of rich farming country from which to draw, it has enjoyed prosperity. Wide awake, progressive citizens have always endeavored to keep Wildrose a good, clean town that residents feel proud to call their home.